Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Practice Teaching 1

So tomorrow I get the chance to teach the first two katas (dances) in the Nia routine, Sanjana. I am really excited. I think I may have been putting this off for lame reasons, and now I'm finally biting the bullet and I think I may love it more than classroom teaching... I'll let you know!

For those of you who have not heard of the fitness fusion sensation that is the Nia Technique, here is the down low: Nia is a fitness practice - yes, practice - that fuses 9 different movement forms into graceful, powerful and exciting dance routines. The movement forms are yoga, Alexander Technique, The work of Moshe Feldenkrais (healing arts), Tae Kwon-do, Tai Chi, Aikido (martial arts), jazz, Duncan dance, and modern (dance arts). Debbie and Carlos Rosas created Nia back in the late 80s in reaction to the intense, huge-impact aerobics that was the craze then. Nia is no-impact based aerobics that is WAY more fun and fulfilling than weight reps, step or zumba. Nia speaks to all aspects of being human. Zumba may look fun and inviting on the surface, but personally I felt it was a little too "up" and "cool" for me. Nia lets me be weird and kwirky, or graceful and dynamic. It lets me laugh out loud in class, yell when I punch and kick, cry because the music is beautiful and relax as the stress drips out of my body. Check out the video Nia headquarters recently posted on YouTube. There is also an older one with voice overs you can find. Search 'Nia Technique Cape Town 2009' and it is the first video on the list... I have to figure out including videos right onto here next!

That should keep you busy for a while! Until next time!
Pip pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment